Re: Vagrant boxes debian 32 bits

Hi Emmanuel,

Le vendredi 24 février 2017, Emmanuel Kasper <manu@debian.org> a écrit :
Hi Romain

>> On 02/23/2017 12:39 AM, Romain Garbage wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like to know if the TeamCloud plans to also provide 32 bit images
>>> of Debian as Vagrant boxes on Atlas ?
>>>
>>> If it is of interest, I attach you a .json file that I adapted from
>>> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/cloud/debian-vm-
>> templates.git/tree/packer-virtualbox-vagrant/contrib-jessie.json
>>> to make a 32 bit image. I couldn't test it as I don't have a 64 bit
>> system
>>> and the documentation states that a 64 bit system is necessary to use
>>> import2vbox.
>>>
>>> Have a nice day,
>>> Romain
>>>

>> Do you mind if we continue the discussion in public on the debian-cloud
>> mailing list so people can give their feedback ?
>>

> No problem!! I didn't even think about sending that to the mailing list, I
> just saw your name on the Debian Wiki and decided to write you about this!
> Feel free to forward my mail to the mailing list! I will join it to follow
> the discussion, can you put me in copy in the meantime so I don't miss
> anything?

Thank for your interest in Vagrant boxes.

What is exactly your use case for 32 bits Vagrant boxes ?

The Yunohost project uses your Vagrant boxes as a base to build up development boxes (see https://github.com/YunoHost/Vagrantfile repo). I submitted a patch to add 32bit support to their environment, as I have an oldish 32bit laptop and thus cannot run 64bit boxes. For now I built the 32bit boxes from the Bento image because I didn't find an official 32 bit Debian. I was wondering why there were not such images, so I sent you an email. As it looked to me very straightforward to adapt the json to 32bit, I attached it with my first email in case it was of interest.

We currently build 7 Vagrant build images (3 VirtualBox, 2 LXC, 2
Libvirt) all of them 64 bits. Adding 32 bits on top would be bit a bit
of work, especially since not that much of the build process for new
releases is automated.

I understand perfectly this issue and it answers all my interrogations.

I see everyday more software dropping 32 bits support (RHEL 7, MongoDB,
Proxmox PVE all require 64 bit hardware) so I am not that much looking
forward having extra work which will be deprecated in two years.

If the issue is important to you, open a bug on the debian-cloud pseudo
package in the BTS with the wishlist priority so the issue is properly
tracked.

As I said in the 1st paragraph, for the moment I don't have any particularly urging need to have an official 32bit image, I think it will be fine with the Bento image.

Thank you very much for your answer and for having brought up the existing images !

Romain