Re: Packaging AWS Agents for Debian

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 04:56:01AM -0800, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 06:02:12PM +0800, gustavo panizzo (gfa) wrote:
> > Watching how I can improve the current status of Debian support at $DAYJOB
> > I realized that AWS agents are not packaged even if their license
> > allows it
> >
> > I wonder if packaging them, on main, would make Debian supported by AWS?
> >
> > When I said supported by AWS I mean Debian having the same status as Amazon Linux,
> > RH, and Ubuntu in docs like this
> >
> > http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/sysman-install-ssm-agent.html
> > http://docs.aws.amazon.com/codedeploy/latest/userguide/how-to-run-agent-install.html
>
> Note that for each of the supported OSes referenced in the above docs,
> the agent is packaged and distributed by AWS directly, and is not part
> of the distribution. So being present in the distro is not a requirement
> for support. I will follow up with contacts at AWS and see if I can
Yes, but for amazon linux is just a yum install away, I'd like to reach
similar status in Debian

> learn more details about what makes a distro eligible for support. I
> suspect that demand from AWS customers is a large part of it.
>
> Regarding the list of specific agents you provided, yes, each of them is
> potentially a candidate for inclusion in Debian. It's simply a matter of
> somebody being sufficiently motivated to do that work...
>
> > Maybe there are other agents out there that I don't know about it
>
> Amazon ECS Init should also be packaged.
> https://github.com/aws/amazon-ecs-init
OK

> > I'm *really* interested in feedback from from Amazon folks here, if Debian doesn't
> > get the supported status by AWS, I won't have the time to own this
> > effort (I don't know ruby so I can't help with the CodeDeploy agent
> > anyway)
>
> I suspect that there are two things that need to happen for AWS to
> officially consider Debian supported in their docs, etc:
>
> 1. Customers have to be asking for official support. If there's not
> sufficient customer demand, it's probably not even on AWS's radar. I
> don't not know what would constitute "sufficient".
>
> 2. There could be formal partnership agreements between the distro and
> AWS. I'm not sure, and I don't know what the terms of such an agreement
> would be, so I have no idea if this would be an option for Debian.
>
> Obligatory Disclaimer: I work for AWS, but I am not involved in
> determining what is supported by them. I'm not speaking on their behalf
> here.
yeah, I know any help from you guys doesn't "bind" AWS to support
Debian, anyway your input is greatly appreciated

Sorry if my email sounded a bit aggressive/rude, it wasn't my intention.
I'm just not native speaker

If we can get Debian included in docs, etc, I can allocate time to work on
the agents

thanks

--
1AE0 322E B8F7 4717 BDEA BF1D 44BB 1BA7 9F6C 6333

keybase: https://keybase.io/gfa