Re: Amazon reviews of the Debian images on the AWS Marketplace.

Hi Charles,

> On Jul 26, 2016, at 08:39, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
>
> trying to refresh my AWS skills (VPS ? T2 Instances ??), I visited the
> Marketplace page for the Debian images, and found out that there are a bunch of
> user reviews.  I would like to take the opportunity to make a quick, perhaps
> partial, summary.
>
> https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00WUNJIEE
>
> There are 83 reviews.  61 with 5 stars, 5 with 4 stars, 7 with 3 stars, 2 with
> 2 stars and 8 with 1 star.
>
> I did not read much of the 5-star reviews.  Many thank yous :)

Awesome work from all the contributors.

> In the 2- and 1-star reviews, there is a reccurent complain that disks from
> images booted from the AWS Marketplace can not be attached elsewhere.  There is
> nothing we can do for that.

Indeed, This is by design in Marketplace. The Amazon Marketplace billing code prohibits the attachment of a volume in two instances simultaneously.  Advise customers to use

> One negative review was about the fact that the image did not resize accordingly
> to the volume size.  (Is that what we fixed with the "growpart issue"?).
>
> One user could not login as "admin"; not sure why.
>
> Another user was upset that there is no "root" account.  Here, we followed the
> strong recommendations of Amazon.

This is a best practice which can be modified with cloud-init configuration if the user wishes. The risk is too great for general configuration.

> One user had the SSH error  "Error in ssh2: I/O error in version
> negotiation{com.mindbright.ssh2.SSH2VersionNegotiationException: I/O error in
> version negotiation}"
>
> For the old-style PVM images (https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00AA27RK4),
> one user (still giving us 4 stars) regretted that we do not provide updates of
> Jessie anymore.

> Altogether, in comparison to the wave of upset attitudes being thrown to us on
> this list, it seems that we managed to satisfy most of the users who expressed
> themselves.  This is not to say that some system tweaking parameters should not
> be corrected, but I think that "the priorities of our users" on the AWS
> platform may be different than the developer-driven priority of unifying all
> cloud platforms to a very minimal system.  For instance, nobody ever complained
> for the presence of packages like apt-transport-https; I guess that the reason
> is that it has no visible cost on those who do not use it.  From the users

Decreasing boot times,  packages keeping parity with current SDK versions, and support for new regions are always welcome features for AWS customers. As you find issues that you want to address, let’s keep the dialog open so that we can work together to ensure that you have what you need to provide the best experience for Debian users on the AWS Public Cloud.