Re: AWS Run Command - packaging, adding to Debian images

On 2016-06-29 08:52:57, Brian Gupta wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Tomasz Rybak <tomasz.rybak@post.pl> wrote:
> > Hello.
> > Recently AWS released EC2 Run Command:
> > http://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/ec2-run-command-update-manage-share-com
> > mands-and-more/
> > https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-ec2-run-command-remote-instance-ma
> > nagement-at-scale/
> >
> > It allows for running commands defined in documents - reducing need to
> > have SSH on instance. It is done by having agent running in OS and
> > waiting for commands. Agent is Open Source:
> > https://github.com/aws/amazon-ssm-agent
>
> Not "Open Source". See list of OSI approved licenses. [1]

I have to agree that it is open source but it is not free software.

> > I'm not sure how DFSG-free is this licence:
> > https://github.com/aws/amazon-ssm-agent/blob/master/LICENSE
> >  - haven't read it diligently enough.
> >
> > IMO it would be good to package it, upload into Debian (if licence is
> > DFSG) and install in official images.
> > Agent is written in Go - I do not have any experience with it. Any
> > tips? Also - any comments regarding this idea?
>
> Quick review, not DFSG compliant. There are use restrictions. I can't
> imagine this being included as part of any official images, unless this is
> resolved.

I have to agree just reading point 3.3 from license for me is enough to say
that this is not DFSG.
But on the other hand have it in non-free could be nice (from user POV)
--

|_|_|0|         "Heghlu'Meh QaQ jajVam"          |

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x58C338B3
3DF1 A4DF C732 4688 38BC F121 6869 30DD  58C3 38B3