Re: Jessie Vagrant/VirtualBox image stuck booting ?

Hi.

Tiago Ilieve <tiago.myhro@gmail.com> writes:

> I was able to successfully build the example "jessie-vagrant.yml"[1],
> both on an outdated[2] and an updated[3] on a Jessie machine, and
> start the box afterwards, using the latest code from the upstream
> master branch. Can you share you manifest and build logs?

Here's my manifest, at [6], which differs from yours mainly in the
change of default locale to french and use of minimize_size/zerofree.

Here's the corresponding build log, at [7], using bootstrap-vz 0.9.9-2
from testing, IIRC.

>> Maybe that's an issue with latest jessie update that has nothing to do
>> with bootstrap-vz...
>>
>> Any clue ?
>
> This is something that I have been talking with Marcin Kulisz, as we
> are facing build problems after the latest Jessie update, but we
> suspect that it affects the package (0.9.0-1) from the repository[4],
> not builds from the upstream code. For instance, I wasn't able to
> build a machine based on
> "/usr/share/doc/bootstrap-vz/examples/manifests/virtualbox-vagrant.manifest.json"
> (changing the release to "jessie" and updating the location of the
> VirtualBox Guest Additions ISO). The following error is raised in the
> "Installing grub" task:
>
> CalledProcessError: Command 'chroot /target/74cdb45c/root grub-install
> /dev/dm-0' returned non-zero exit status 1
>
> I guess this fix can be backported from upstream[5] as a non-intrusive
> change that could be included in a future jessie-proposed-update. I'll
> look further into this.
>
> Anyway, this doesn't looks like what you are facing, because you had
> no problems in building the machine, only when starting the Vagrant
> box, right?

Right. No issue building, only a "stuck" boot process when doing vagrant
up.

> Are you sure that this isn't a problem with VirtualBox
> (e.g. their modules were properly built when updating to the latest
> kernel? Has it rebooted after the last upgrade?)? Are you able to boot
> other virtual machines with no problem?

Yes, Virtualbox is operational AFAICT, and I built another VM with
packer and ran it succesfuly a few hours later.

Thanks for caring and your help.

Best regards,

[6] http://paste.debian.net/432507
[7] http://paste.debian.net/hidden/234c29f3