Re: Building cloud images on Debian infrastructure

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 5:59 PM, Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 12:13:59AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I don't get your thing about tar. Can you explain why we should use tar?

This makes it possible to build small variations without doing the whole
dance again.  Plus it makes it possible to review if the output is
reasonable.
I agree that a tar should be provided as one of the outputs yes. This is one of the formats that Ubuntu Cloud does too ala 'rootfs' (and insert X usb linux distro here).
It does not however need to be based on a tar if that is what is being debated (or the master is a tar). Its a completely normal practice to build an image in mounted loopback with a .img (raw) and then convert that to desired formats, packages and the root fs into a flat file tar.

For 'transformations' where you modify files or run commands in chroot of the filesystem that is within the artifact, its actually more dancing to extract a tarball than it is to simply mount an image in loopback.

Bastian

--
Deflector shields just came on, Captain.