Re: Ideas for a trusted service to find official cloud "Image IDs" and "Images"?

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Brian Gupta <brian.gupta@brandorr.com> wrote:

> Basically something like http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/locator/ec2/
> but for Debian, and all our various cloud images, including Azure,
> GCE, OpenStack, Euca, etc.
>
> This would aim to provide more trusted data than a wiki, would be more
> convenient than searching email archives for gpg signed release
> messages, and also allow for a clean place to link to from
> https://www.debian.org/distrib/
>
> Some thoughts:
> 1) Only DDs can update the data. Presumably only those that are
> maintaining said official images. ACL would be set to a set of
> individual DDs per cloud service provider, who are maintaining the
> images for said cloud.
> 2) It should support multiple cloud providers
> 3) I'd be willing to help outline the functionality, fields, etc, but
> not being a developer, I couldn't implement it. (I'd also need help
> mapping out metadata with every other service than AWS.)
> 4) Thinking we'd work with DSA to setup a URL like http://cloudimages.debian.org

Yes to everything. There definitely needs to be a central place that lists (or links to) official Debian cloud images in the various cloud service provider's environments. Another thing to consider is how we handle 'stale' images that have been superseded by newer versions and releases that are no longer supported. In HP Cloud, we have a policy to never remove an image (unless it's severely broken or poses a security risk) so it'd be nice if we could keep the references to those images around somewhere.

> Any issues with this idea? Does anyway have the skills and time to
> help implement it?

I could possibly dedicate some time gut I'm not a DD either and am not familiar with the Debian infrastructure.

...Juerg