Re: Debian 7.4 images available from HP cloud

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:50 PM, Clint Byrum <spamaps@debian.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Tomasz Rybak's message of 2014-03-25 11:41:08 -0700:
> > Dnia 2014-03-25, wto o godzinie 19:21 +0100, Juerg Haefliger pisze:

> > > images to

> > > people to download the images from? Like cloud-images.ubuntu.com?
> > >
> > > Yes? No? Maybe?
> >
> > I'm not against this idea, but what would be the reason for that?
>
> There are these crazy people out there who want to own their own
> infrastructure and run a cloud on top of it. See: www.openstack.org
>
> > I'm not sure whether it is possible to use e.g. AMI outside of
> > AWS EC2; and we have links to current images in Debian Wiki.
> > Maybe it would be nice idea to have more visible
> > debian-cloud.debian.org with links to official (or at least
> > blessed) images in appropriate clouds (GCE, AWS, Azure?)
> > but I am not entirely sure that hostin images
> > (which would require for the user to download them and then
> > upload to the cloud) would be the best idea.
> >

> AMI's can be used on Eucalyptus or OpenStack. Maybe CloudStack too.

It's not just AMIs but qcow2 images as well. Thomas built some and uploaded them to HP Cloud. It would be beneficial to others to be able to download them from somewhere and use them in their environment (private clouds, devstack, pure KVM, you name it).

So I'm assuming everybody who's currently building images is doing so in their own environment and not on Debian infrastructure? Can we entertain the thought of putting together an image build system of some sorts?

...Juerg