Re: google compute engine health check or DoS?

Good morning, Jimmy-

Thanks for https://cloud.google.com/support/ reference. I see many
unanswered questions, though ;-)

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Jimmy Kaplowitz <jkaplowitz@google.com> wrote:
> You too!
>
> By the way, if you want a broader range of people providing support
> (including external peers and GCE Googlers who may not be part of the Debian
> community), check out the self-service and community support options here,
> including a Google Group aka mailing list and a Stack overflow tag (paid
> support also available):
>
> https://cloud.google.com/support/
>
> Now that I've finished an unrelated email, actually going to sleep for real.
> :) /me waves good night! Feel free to say hello on IRC any time.
>
> - Jimmy

After changing DNS to CloudFlare's, I did not notice any
improvement(s). Thus at around 23:11pm I rebooted (with gcutil
resetinstance) and subsequently I was able to log in via gcutil
(indeed ssh functions, too).

Analyzing syslog it seems that the GCE instance began having issues at
around 18:54 pm beginning with the line:

Mar 21 18:54:34 my-gce-instance kernel: [3502320.420053] INFO: task
kswapd0:18 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[...]

Accordingly, issue that began this thread appears to be kernel
related; I have sent you an edited version of syslog (leaving the
kernel related stuff intact) in case you want to analyze it.

uname -a

Linux my-gce-instance 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.54-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Although my GCE Console  graph shows sustained spikes, the range of
values seems normal; thus, it was not a DoS/DDoS after all.

Best Professional Regards.

$ cat /etc/os*

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="7"
VERSION="7 (wheezy)"
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/";
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/";
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.debian.org/";

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com
Daylight Saving Time in USA & Canada ends: Sunday, November 02, 2014