Re: GCE bootstrap-vz generated image test

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM, Anders Jackson <anders.jackson@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Tomasz is doing what we were doing before, this is just changing the
> sysctl setting. Very easy to reverse, which within GCE would only make sense
> to do if you wanted to use IPv6 within Linux's internal networking stack
> (e.g. use LXC within the VM and have the different containers communicate
> over IPv6).

Ok, so it only is for GCE and nothing else then and in the plugin for GCE?
Well, that is unfortunate but a useful solution then.

I think some of the other cloud environments also lack support for IPv6; the same setting would make sense there as well.

> Even now, not all software reacts well when IPv6 is enabled but not
> available. We encountered real-world cases where this caused a bad user
> experience, fixed by disabling IPv6. (I'd have to look up the details - this
> was a while ago.) Of course it makes sense to enable IPv6 wherever that is
> available, but unfortunately that's not currently supported in the GCE
> network.

Ok, good to know, as IPv6 is important for me.

I value IPv6 as well; a personal server of mine has it, as does my mobile phone. :)

Would be good to know what software and what problem it was, if you
have time to look it up, and if not just ignore it.  Just curious. ;-)

Noted. I might follow up during a workweek once I've had a chance to look it up.

- Jimmy

> - Jimmy

/Anders