Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

On 07/08/2013 06:11 PM, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> There are pros and cons for using a libvirt-based approach for
> building images versus a distro-specific non-libvirt method like
> debootstrap.

My view is that d-i is simply too heavy for what we need, and there is
no reason to waste that much time using it. Moreover, as d-i evolves,
you will constantly have to rework your preseed script, while
debootstrap will simply always work.

> If a distro provider
> chooses a particular tool to create images, I'm in no position to
> question that decisions.

<sarcasm>
Well, in Debian, everyone is in a position to create monster troll
threads, including non-DD! Simply dig into debian-devel@lists.d.o if you
don't trust these words! :)
</sarcasm>

> I'm simply saying that it makes more sense
> for me to use a libvirt-based approach. For that reason I like Oz
> (https://github.com/clalancette/oz) which adds another layer of
> abstraction on top of libvirt although I haven't really used it yet
> but it seems to gain in popularity and is already used by other
> distros to build images, if I'm not mistaken.
>
> ...Juerg

My final goal is to have a Debian image published together with the rest
of the iso images, so best case: you wont have to maintain anything,
just download the image from Debian FTP. Hopefully, this will happen ... :)

Thomas