Re: Debian cloud images for OpenStack?

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 07/06/2013 08:06 PM, Bromberger, James wrote:
>> Having cloud-init in the AMIs is, IMHO, a core requirement for our next
>> major release. Lots of newer things depend upon it.
>
> I'm happy to read this.
>
>> Right now we have cloud-init in backports and testing/Jessie (yay! Well done Thomas, Jakub and Charles).
>
> Thanks, but unfortunately, it is still waiting for FTP masters approval.
>
>> Moving from the current three scripts (resize root, fetch SSH key, and
>> execute #! Userdata), to cloud-init, should be backwardly compatible.
>> The question becomes: do we do this during the Wheezy cycle by pulling
>> in from backports

I'm a strong advocate of using cloud-init over any distro-specific
tools for instance customization. It's not perfect but cloud-init is
widely used by many distributions which makes it easier for users to
move to Debian cloud images if we support it as well. I think any
effort spent for making cloud-init work better with Debian is
worthwhile.

...Juerg