Re: (dist)-upgrades

On 06/01/2013 08:12 PM, Anders Jackson wrote:
> Ok, have missed that one. But I would prefer my infrastructure being
> dependent on Debian and not explicitly of one developers repository.

There we go, I knew this would happen, but I didn't expect it would
happen *before* we even have PPA available! :)

Please read the announcement. The design of the Debian PPA will be a lot
different from what is currently done in Ubuntu. The PPA will share the
same pool structure as the rest of the archive, and will be fully part
of Debian. They shouldn't be considered only "one developers
repository", but really, custom archives for specific purposes.

> That's why I think that backport would be a better solution for Debian
> stable users getting support for what is in testing/Sid.

No it wont. In backports, we will only be able to support a single
version of OpenStack, when upstream really is supporting 2.

> Yes, I have used Ubuntu PPA:s before

Then forget about it, this isn't the same thing.

> and it has worked, sort of.
> Depending on what time and interest the developer had to support his PPA.

Again, Debian's PPA will not be only for a single developer.

> As for developers having their own repository they shared, it has been
> done before. Don't see any difference between a PPA and a developers
> repository at his own Debian web page.

You are right, when it comes to Ubuntu PPA.

I would strongly suggest that you read the debian-devel archive, and
read what has been proposed.

Thomas