Re: (dist)-upgrades

> I am the one currently maintaining both XCP and OpenStack. I can
> guarantee that you will be able to do dist-upgrades of servers running
> both XCP and OpenStack for the full life cycle of Essex, yes. Probably,
> it will also happen for XCP, as upstream (eg Citrix) seem to understand
> the need we have in Debian.

Hi Thomas,

this is idd partly the answer i was looking for:
so to summarize:
- XCP should be ok to upgrade when jessie becomes stable
- OpenStack: will depend, another repo might be better, because the
release cycle nature and upgrade process of openstack

> Though, for OpenStack, the situation is a little bit more complicated.
> Upstream only support the last 2 release of OpenStack for security, and
> support only upgrading from one version to the next. There is a new
> release every 6 months. This means that if we want to provide a smooth
> upgrade from Essex in Wheezy to the "J" release in Jessie, we will have
> to do a lot of manual work. At this point, it is hard for me to predict
> if there will be enough resources interested to do this work.
>
> However, if you wish to follow the release cycles of OpenStack, and
> upgrade your cloud every 6 months, I keep some (non-official) backport
> repositories for Wheezy. I am keeping these in good shape. I would
> suggest that you use these Wheezy backports repositories for the moment.
>
> The problem for supporting upgrades from Essex to Grizzly directly (for
> example) is that even upstream, there isn't enough resources interested
> for working on that.
>
> The FTP masters made the announcement that they are working toward
> providing some PPA for Debian. When these will be available, it is my
> intention to move all OpenStack packages there. Using these PPA, it will
> be possible to provide smooth upgrade following the upstream release
> cycles directly within the Debian repositories. I am (like many I
> suppose) really looking forward this possibility.
>
> I will do my best so that upgrades from Essex to the "J" (name of the
> OpenStack release, not related to Debian Jessie) release in Jessie will
> be possible and smooth, though it's hard to predict what will happen,
> and if it will be doable.

good luck, sounds like a challenge

> I am very sorry that I couldn't reply with a clear "yes", and that the
> answer is a little bit more complicated.

don't worry,
i prefer an open honest answer, i'm not a only-selling-is-important
guy:)

tnx,
Wim