Fwd: Aw: Re: Adding cloud-init in the next Wheezy point release

On 12 May 2013 13:49, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 05:15:52PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> > Currently even the EC2 part of Amazon's build script pulls a specific
> > version of euca2ools from Eucalyptus's github site during the build
> > process. It also pulls a boto patch from Red Hat's bugzilla and applies it.
> > While none of this bothers me from a freeness perspective, it doesn't meet
> > Lucas's criterion (A) (about all software coming from Debian).
>
> As I understood it, that point is about the software that's contained in
> the images. Am I wrong in assuming that euca2ools is only used to build
> the images and not shipped as part of it? I've only grepped around
> Anders' script very quickly, and that seems to actually be the case, but
> I certainly might have missed something.
>
> I think this is an important distinction to make, if only to avoid
> double standards wrt the regular Debian building toolchain.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack@upsilon.cc . . . . o . . . o . o
> Maître de conférences . . . . . http://upsilon.cc/zack . . . o . . . o o
> Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .
> « the first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club »

Forgot to press "Reply all"

> Am I wrong in assuming that euca2ools is only used to build the images and not shipped as part of it?
Nope, that is correct, we need neither euca2ools nor boto for the image.
Short of using non-free tools I'd say that on the building machine in
general anything goes (as long as the one who is bootstrapping is made
aware of the changes to his system).