Re: Fwd: Notice: A version of Debian GNU/Linux is nearing the end of its support life cycle

Thomas Goirand wrote:
> James Bromberger wrote:
> > *apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade**-y**
> > *
> > This ensures I've pulled in all current security updates; that's the
> > only difference between 6.0.6 and 6.0.7; indeed, /upgrade /and
> > /dist-upgrade/ should work the same between security roll-ups; ther
> > shouldn't be any packages that require the installation of packages
> > that would otherwise conflict - which may be the case between major
> > releases (eg, removing /previously/ "cricital" marked packages when a
> > new major version of something no longer requires it).
>
> Well, that would be right, except that we have stuff like
> bind which often pulls new libraries.

Yes.  Additionally sometimes the original package was uploaded using
one set of libs from Unstable from way before the freeze.  Unstable
progresses and new libs appear in Unstable.  When the security upgrade
comes along it will be built using what is the then latest set of
libs.  That later set of libs might be different and therefore a
security upgrade might pull in an additional lib.

Bob