Re: [RFR] Press release about Debian on public clouds

Le Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 02:35:54PM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :

> (the truth is that Openstack isn't fully free, because every
> provider has implemented billing with proprietary things, but
> first this is currently being addressed, and 2nd, this is off-topic,
> so let's please not discuss that)

At this point I would like to remind that Debian seems to purchase part of its
hardware through softchoice.com (bits from the DPL: October 2012), and I do not
see a link on this website to dowload its source code.  So I am a bit irritated
to read criticisms about running Debian on instances rented through non-free
software, while nobody objects that we run some of our infrastructure on
hardware purchased through non-free software.

Really, if people want to solve the problem, it is very welcome, but please
solve it by starting, promoting or investing in businesses that give us the
possibility of using Free software all the way, not by suggesting that we
should not do the work that we are currently doing on this list.  Personally, I
am unlikely to run my own cloud in my appartment, so for the moment it is
either with Amazon, or I go outside enjoying the cherry blossum instead of
trying cloud-init on Squeeze.

Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan