Re: [RFR] Press release about Debian on public clouds

On 03/19/2013 05:29 AM, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> On -10/01/37 20:59, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:26:50PM +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
>>> attached the draft of the upcoming press release about Debian on
>>> public clouds: it'd be great if you could review it.  Particularly,
>>> I'd need two things:
>>>
>>>  1) the correct links for Amazon and Azure images
>>>  2) a quote from representatives of both Amazon and Azure.
>> Thanks everyone for the feedback given in this thread. Based on it, I've
>> prepared a new draft, which I hope could be consensual.
>>
>> If you have further comments, please consider joining patches to them, so that
>> the feedback loop could be quicker (i.e. you wouldn't have to wait 2 days for
>> me to come up with an alternative proposal that addresses your comments :-)).
>>
>> Note that there are also very technical points that anyone on this list could
>> help with, e.g. the most appropriate image links.
> I'm not sure if this has been frozen yet, as was originally planned, but
> I still want to make some comments on Debian and cloud computing.
>
> I would very much like the original sentiment of "...we recommend
> running your own cloud..." be put back into the final press release.
> And I would hope that to be the Debian official position, that of
> running a Free Software solution is recommended over a SaaS solution.

Hi,

We aren't discussing SaaS here, only IaaS. So probably you didn't
really understand what all this was about.

> A private Free Software
> cloud does offer the same freedom but a private non-Free Software cloud,
> and even worse, a public cloud, does not.

Exactly what freedom do you loose using a public cloud? As
someone else (Charles?) stated, it's the same as running
your website on a shared hosting server... You can still leave,
and setup your service on another platform, or set it up in
your garage if you wish...

> For the reasoning behind these comments please see:
> "Who does that server really serve?"
> <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html>

This page is about software as a service, which as
absolutely nothing to do with what we are discussing. In
other words: I do agree that we shouldn't encourage our
users to use SaaS, but that's not what this is about.

Thomas