Re: Re: [RFR] Press release about Debian on public clouds

On -10/01/37 20:59, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 02:26:50PM +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
>> attached the draft of the upcoming press release about Debian on
>> public clouds: it'd be great if you could review it.  Particularly,
>> I'd need two things:
>>
>>  1) the correct links for Amazon and Azure images
>>  2) a quote from representatives of both Amazon and Azure.
>
> Thanks everyone for the feedback given in this thread. Based on it, I've
> prepared a new draft, which I hope could be consensual.
>
> If you have further comments, please consider joining patches to them, so that
> the feedback loop could be quicker (i.e. you wouldn't have to wait 2 days for
> me to come up with an alternative proposal that addresses your comments :-)).
>
> Note that there are also very technical points that anyone on this list could
> help with, e.g. the most appropriate image links.

I'm not sure if this has been frozen yet, as was originally planned, but
I still want to make some comments on Debian and cloud computing.

I would very much like the original sentiment of "...we recommend
running your own cloud..." be put back into the final press release.
And I would hope that to be the Debian official position, that of
running a Free Software solution is recommended over a SaaS solution.

And I dispute the statement about freedom in:

"When choosing Debian as a guest OS in the cloud setting, Debian will
offer you the same guarantees of freedom, stability, and community
support than everywhere."

as in depends on if it is a private Free Software cloud, a private
non-Free Software cloud or a public cloud.  A private Free Software
cloud does offer the same freedom but a private non-Free Software cloud,
and even worse, a public cloud, does not.

For the reasoning behind these comments please see:
"Who does that server really serve?"
<http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html>

Regards,
Mike.