On the distribution (or not) of pre-made images on the Debian mirrors.

Le Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 01:10:45PM +0800, Thomas Goirand a écrit :

> Yeah. Though it's a shame that the Debian official images aren't
> available on the Debian servers (I believe the AWS images would
> run quite well on Openstack, even though I had no time to check
> for that fact). I think we should focus on advertizing about cloud
> images in general (AMI images can be used in AWS, but also on
> Eucalyptus or Openstack). I just wish my message was heard by
> those who did the hard work (eg: Charles and others), but as you
> wroge, they just go where their interest lies, and there's nothing
> I can do about it (but to do some of the work myself).

Hi Thomas,

a detailed documentation of what is needed, how to create it and how to use it
would help a lot.

For instance, is it possible to do anything useful with a tarball
dump as a starting point ?  What would be the advantage compared with
providing our users with an easy way to create the images themselves ?

Debian distributes CD images with jigdo in addition and in preference to
pre-made images.  Shall we follow that example instead ?

Also, we need to think about the possible overlaps and synergies with the
distribution of "live" images.

Altogether, just because there are images registered in large commercial clouds
does not necessarly mean that we need to have copies of them in our mirrors.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan