Re: Availability of Debian official cloud images from debian.org

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:28:07PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> So, put in simple words: we need something like this. Question is, where
> can this be uploaded? To me, cdimage.debian.org seem to be the natural
> place. Does it make sense to everyone else? Could we, in a near future,
> imagine having these images creation, included in the official release
> build process, together with the CDs, DVDs, etc.?

Thanks for starting this discussion. However, I've the feeling you are
starting it with the assumption that there is some sort of the
opposition to the idea, while it seems to me that it simply something
that hasn't happened *yet*. As usual, probably just because no one has
done the needed work, yet. The answers to most of the question you ask
is likely "yes, please contribute to the solution" :)

More specifically, I suggest to contact the relevant teams first,
instead of starting a -devel wide discussion which will surely gather a
lot of opinions, but will also bring us no closer to have an implemented
solution. I wanted to get in touch myself with the cdimage team, for
instance, but ran short of time. If you could do that, it would be
great! On the other hand, I suspect that asking only "what do you
think?" wouldn't help much, unless you provide useful figures such as
the ratio at which the image changes, the expected total size of the
images, how much they are expected to grow over time, etc. Those
technical aspects are all to be figured out before we will be able to
move forward. If you can look into it, it would be great.

Thanks!

PS setting M-F-T to -cloud
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .