Re: [RFR] Press release about Debian on public clouds

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
On 03/15/2013 01:10 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Well, not "just because", we do have reasons. Because it's closed
> software which AWS and Azure are running. And we care that our
> users don't get locked into it. This has, IMO, nothing to do with using
> public or private cloud, this has everything to do with being able to
> do a small setup in your garage if you feel like it.
And I forgot the most important:
This also has everything to do with being able to go from one
hosting company to another, and swap without any worries. This
is all what the cloud is about: being able to reproduce your
production environment, and deploy just by running a small
script. In fact, using proprietary cloud, in my opinion, you
loose that key feature.

Thomas
Images can for the most be developed in a stock standard fashion which caters for hypervisors, not clouds.
The problem is that Debian are not distributing images, but rather providing access to registered images in clouds. Stock images that support Xen and KVM should be available to download from debian.org - this is yet to be done.