Re: [RFR] Press release about Debian on public clouds

Sorry about the mail delivery, thats Google.

I believe it's because the persons behind the images on Azure or AWS
didn't need these images anywhere else, and that the ones using
Eucalyptus and (in my case) Openstack didn't have the time to work it out.

This backs up the point that the images are per user or 'person'. An image is a binary, but if you need an account with a public cloud provider to inspect it, that's unreasonable.
Image registration in a cloud is much different to building images which are more about the hypervisor in terms of workability.

Sorry, I don't understand the above paragraph. Can you try to explain again?

How do we build and distribute VM images? At the moment it doesn't seem we do and nor do we have a system to do that. We can ignore Ubuntu's way, it was just an example here.
Currently, someone does it manually via a script. There are many factors to consider here, but as pointed out earlier, there is no storage for generated images. This really should be Debian-owned.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
On 03/13/2013 02:39 PM, Chris Fordham wrote:
> Sorry for the TOFU.
>
> I agree with Thomas. Images should always be made independent of a cloud
> and provided for download which also provides security auditing
> potentials for users.
> Not sure why Debian Cloud has not done that yet, but in any case we
> really should look at doing this before any press release on public
> clouds (or any type of compute cloud).

I believe it's because the persons behind the images on Azure or AWS
didn't need these images anywhere else, and that the ones using
Eucalyptus and (in my case) Openstack didn't have the time to work it out.

> Ubuntu also has the advantage of systems like Launchpad to do building
> and provide packages and images without the need of a user. These kind
> of considerations are important for a proper offering and structure.

Sorry, I don't understand the above paragraph. Can you try to explain again?

Cheers,

Thomas

P.S: Please don't CC me, one copy of each message is enough :)