Re: What is the most convenient way to accept the terms of use of the AWS Marketplace ?

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I added an unanswered question in the AWS FAQ:
>
>   Q: How can I accept AWS Marketplace terms ?
>
>   Attempts to run an official Debian AMI from a naive account return error
>   messages such as the following.
>
>     OptInRequired: In order to use this AWS Marketplace product you need to accept
>     terms and subscribe. To do so please visit
>     http://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp?sku=8fvdn95s5ev33cprr62nq3q7t
>
>   What is to procedure to accept AWS Marketplace terms ? Can it be done from
>   the command line ?
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Amazon/EC2/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_accept_AWS_Marketplace_terms_.3F
>
> For the moment, what I did was the following:
>
>  - Log in the AWS website.
>  - Follow the link in the error message, which leads to Debian's AMI page (64 bits).
>  - Click on "Continue"
>  - Select a micro instance.
>  - Click on "Accept terms and launch with 1-click".
>
> After this, I could start other instances from the command line.
>
> Is there a easier procedure ?

I don't think there is, which is why I feel that we should also
publish "official AMIs" that aren't Marketplace AMIs. (Basically
identical, but all that would be required to use is the AMI ID. This
would be similar to other official AMIs like Amazon Linux and Ubuntu.)
I understand the priority is to get the Marketplace AMIs sorted, but
would like us to circle back to this at some point.

(Eventually, I would like to see these "non-market" Debian AMIs
featured in the EC2 console's "launch instance" "Wizards".)

-Brian