Re: AWS Debian Stable 6.0.6 Image: Testing please

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 11:10:55AM +0000, Bromberger, James wrote:
> The estimated date for publishing this image via marketplace is over
> this coming weekend, hence I am trying to finish off this image as
> soon as possible. I believe we have met the requirements of this
> community to produce an image that contains only Free software, and
> produced using only Free software. I thank all those who have
> contributed for their time and effort, not the least of which are
> Stefano, Anders and Charles.

And yourself!, who have done a lot of the needed work to reach this
step, both technically and bureaucratically with Amazon. Thank you!

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:13:51PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> that's nice, but again, could you please put these AMI images
> elsewhere than on AWS "Marketplace"? I don't have an account
> there, I do not plan on ever having one, yet I do would like to
> use these AMI images!

Right, this is definitely a sensible request, which we have already
discussed on list. According to past conversations
(e.g. Message-ID: <[🔎] 509C34AC.1010109@rcpt.to>) it is possible
to mark the images as "public" somehow, offering AMI download links to
anyone out there who wish to use them. That should allow to "distribute"
them in a way, without having to piggyback them on the Debian mirror
network (who would also need integration work before being able to
distribute the images).

James: can you figure out the corresponding links? If they are stable,
it would be nice to document them on the wiki too.

> On 11/15/2012 07:10 PM, Bromberger, James wrote:
> > These images were generated using the euca2ools from
> > ec2debian-build-ami, so we can be confident this was generated using
> > completely free software.
>
> I thought that Amazon EC2 was a proprietary software.
> Has suddenly Amazon released the source code of EC2?

This is not in contrast with what James wrote. Also, it'd be nice to
avoid having discussions running in circles :-) i.e., we have already
discussed this in quite some length. But let me recap as it seems to be
needed.

- Yes, the Amazon EC2 platform is proprietary.

- The images we are producing are entirely Free Software and have been
  built using Free Software only (what James said above).

- Those (Free) images can be used by people on the (non-free) Amazon EC2
  platform. As a Project the plan I've proposed to this list is to
  recommend to people to set up their own cloud using the technology we
  offer (OpenStack, Xen/XCP, Opennebula, you name it). But it is a fact
  that there are Debian users out there who will not be able or willing
  (for lack of skills, resources, whatever) to deploy their own private
  cloud and will have to use a public one or left in the cold. To them,
  we will offer free images to be used on a platform we have enough
  volunteer energy to support.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .