RE: New cinnamon version and possible improve to salsa gits

I can leave it as UNRELEASED.

As for my other nemo-extensions, I’ll come back to them once we have nemo 5.4 in the archives. No point in rushing an upload that will quickly require another one.

From: Fabio Fantoni
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2022 4:34 PM
To: Joshua Peisach; debian-cinnamon@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: New cinnamon version and possible improve to salsa gits

Il 10/06/2022 21:33, Joshua Peisach ha scritto:

> Hi list,

> I know. The muffin rebase is big and it's a huge work of standardizing

> code from years ago. I was honestly too afraid to contribute upstream

> as I did not want the muffin rebase to mess any of my work or ideas up.

> To make things easier for you, I'll update some of the extra packages

> (nemo-fileroller and other miscellaneous stuff not really impacted by

> the rebase) and mark them as 'experimental' in changelog. This will

> need a lot of QA, and soon I'll get the UCR 22.10 builds working. My

> school year ends on the 22nd.

Thanks for reply, as I saw other times you did "release" commit even

when not well tested and ready, is good to keep "UNRELEASED" until will

be ready and tested

if you don't have enugh time/experience I suggest to don't try start 5.4

package for now I'll start doing it checking better on all 5.4 packages

instead, I started to work cjs for now that also it was rebased on newer

gjs version and I not tested before (I did some test on the components

of muffin rebase and related things instead in these months)

I suggest you to do additional check on packages where I already need

major of work, I think is good a second check of another maintaner to

find possible my mistake or something I missed, for example for now I

start prepared fast (but not tested) xapp and python-xapp that are only

minor version for upload to unstable (when ready and tested) if you want

start check them

another thing I suggest you to continue your work on additional packages

(if you still want), for example nemo-audio-tab was sponsored and

uploaded but rejected by ftp master and need fix and nemo-compare need

small update if I remember good and after probably is ready (another

check can be good)

looking

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=itzswirlz2020@outlook.com I

think is good you update other packages you maintain, from a fast look,

for example cppimport and pyupgrade have new upstream version

about cinnamon related package as wrote in past you have many ITP open

from long time, I think is good close the ones you will not complete and

the ones is good to not packaging like pix for example, mint did many

fork of software that maintain too low and is not very good (recently

instead they did a good thing removing one fork about bluetooth and

contributing to blueman instead), there is also cinnamon-dev-tools that

have broken link of source to one your repository

> As for upstream imports, I just do whatever gbp import-orig does. Most

> of the time (see https://salsa.debian.org/math-team/sc-im or my

> cppimport package) it will be one commit for all of upstream and not

> contain commit history upstream. That fine?

like other team and maintainers me, maxy and marga we used to add

upstream repository and merge upstream tag including the upstream git

history instead only import the source tar of the new version but as

wrote with debian/ history mixed is not good so I don't use it anymore

> I do not know much about DEP-14. I'd say keep the git branches as is

> for now.

> D/watch simplification should be good.

> My only other comment is nemo-search-helpers might want to be in a

> separate package - fedora has done this and I think it's a good idea

yes, there is also calendar server in cinnamon that should be splitted

like what did in fedora because low used (FWIK) and require many

additional deps but I think these are secondary things and is good do

better packages as possible for 5.4 and after probably will do these splits