Re: New comer

Il 19/03/2022 19:45, Varanda ha scritto:
Thanks a lot Fabio,

Your English is very good. English is also my seconds language BTW… first is Portuguese.

I believe that I may be able to contribute with SW development (than packaging). Therefore, I my check if my patches are accepted by Mint guys. Next, I may help integration with Debian if needed.

I had proposed to "my company" to adopt Debian Bulleye to bundle “our" audio/video solutions with it. (It is not “my company” nor “our product”… actually the company I am working for and the company’s products)

All these stable/non-stable is a bit confusing but I guess the best way to learn is when I need to do something; then I will seek for advises from you and the team.

One thing that is bugging me is the Popup when the session starts alerting about the Video Driver. I want to add a checkbox to avoid showing it again if checked. Code is in main.js function “notifyCinnamon2d”:

https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/cinnamon/-/blob/master/js/ui/main.js

I need to understand how the settings manager works in order to have a persistent  state for my checkbox.

Anyways…. Thanks a lot for your help.

About contributing on software you need to use the upstream git master (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon) and not debian one that have only latest stable.

For reporting issue or request features: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues

For submit your patch fork the repository and create a pull request: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/pulls

About debian packaging take the latest stable version and some other changes/fixes if needed. Stable update can take only fixes and is not easy/fast do it, for example I did one about a crash fix recently and is now in proposed stable updates. If there are important upstream fixes to add to next debian build before wait new upstream version and/or to do a stable proposed update try to wrote and we will saw if possible.

About the popup you mean is when video hardware acceleration is missed and fallback to the software one, this happen mainly on virtual machine, seems strange you have it in production, or maybe I got it wrong about what you mean.

However, I do not have time now to see in detail if there is a bug regarding that specific notification or there is a need for an improvement in the notification system in general.

About that message with the rebase muffin it doesn't appear to me anymore even with the virtual machine if I remember correctly, about notification system there is something change in muffin rebase (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/pull/10372) but not significant for what I remember.