Re: Preparation of Cinnamon 5?

Il 30/07/2021 02:58, Joshua Peisach ha scritto:
Hey guys. Cinnamon 5 is in the experimental branch.

updated to latest bugfix version and some other changes, I tested build on unstable because on experimental failed for dep. issue not related to cinnamon packages

I did a fast install (upgrade) test, if someone want do fast tests with packages done:

http://debomatic-amd64.debian.net/distribution#dpr-cinnamon-unstable

Things I think is good to do before upload: testing build on experimental if possible, test install on clean system, review my commits (4 eyes or more are always better than 2^^), find a working solution for #983441: https://lists.debian.org/debian-cinnamon/2021/07/msg00005.html (I don't found one)

About the nemo extensions - yeah, bullseye freeze got me. Do not upload the Nemo extensions. Those are going to have to wait and if the ITP's get processed by Norbert (I'm sorry, I know you  didn't intend for this) then I may actually have a shot.

Things are in good shape and tomorrow I'll work more with the nemo-ext.

From: Fabio Fantoni <fantonifabio@tiscali.it>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2021 8:44 AM
To: Norbert Preining <norbert@preining.info>; Joshua Peisach <itzswirlz2020@outlook.com>
Cc: maxy@gnuservers.com.ar <maxy@gnuservers.com.ar>
Subject: Re: Preparation of Cinnamon 5?

Il 29/07/2021 12:55, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 29/07/2021 12:23, Fabio Fantoni ha scritto:
Il 29/07/2021 07:26, Norbert Preining ha scritto:
Hi you two,

is there any progress concernig C5 packaging?

I already started prepare them and pushed to experimental

There is one xapp issue I don't know to resolve correctly (I already wrote another mail about)

when I'll have time I'll do build/install/upgrade tests of all packages and do other fix/improvements if needed and when ready I'll ask you or maxy for another review (that is always better) and upload

@Joshua: concerning you DM application, I got answer that there is
hardly any contribution (one changelog, some ITP without action),
and it might happen that the front desk will close the application.
I saw joshua works for prepare other nemo extensions packages for possible upload, I did a fast search about them and where are forked from nautilus, seems near all with too little support (ot none) e low user usage, the "best" seems the dropbox one that probably the best candidate per try upload, I don't use dropbox if Joshua want/have time I suppose can test (if not already done), check better packaging and try to add it, if possible upload it to experimental (if Norbert and Maxy are are ok with it).

sorry if I wrote the sentences with errors or more incomprehensible than usual but unfortunately lately the work is driving me crazy (smartworking that is not "smart")

about the xapp previous mail: https://lists.debian.org/debian-cinnamon/2021/07/msg00005.html

added also maxy to cc missed previously

about other nemo extension, even if nautilus-compare was abandoned and removed nemo-compare was ported to python3 and still supported in mint, I have high usage of comparing tool (meld) but I don't use nemo-compare, I create small nemo action many years ago and still use it. if joshua already test it and want maintain it can be another extension worth adding. @norbert and @maxy what do you think?

nemo-share it would be interesting for many users (I suppose) but when I tried it years ago I saw that it was very "minimal" and not "optimal", when I need to do samba shares I configure them better by hand (simple/fast for me because I'm used to managing many samba fileservers at work but for major of users not) and so I hadn't used that extension anymore. @joshua: you have to modify it to not make it require mintcommon (which it uses for the installation of samba in the latest versions) then if you want to add/maintain it (checking fast experimental branch with your recent commits that required change is still missing, samba is already dep. in debian/control so should be easy remove the part that check/install for samba in the debian patch you'll create), than if you test it well and it is good enough you could also consider that (if norbert/maxy approve)

I don't know of any other extensions that would be used enough to be worth adding, @all what do you think?

If you are really interested, I suggest:
* packaging Cinnamon 5 (shouldn't that much of a work) so that git
   commits a changelog entries appear
* upload C5 ASAP to experimental

All the best

Norbert

--
PREINING Norbert https://www.preining.info
Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev