Re: Cinnamon 4

Il 12/12/2018 03:05, Norbert Preining ha scritto:
Dear Max, dear all,

I have updated (nearly) all packages around cinnamon for version 4, and
pushed my changes to my fork of your repos on salsa, into the
experimental branch (after doing git merge --ff master).

I have built all the packages, and I am currently running the desktop
based on these packages.

Some notes I have collected during updating/building that probably need
people with better insight into the stuff are below.

The pre-built sources and packages are available here:
	deb https://www.preining.info/debian/ unstable main
	deb-src https://www.preining.info/debian/ unstable main
(signed with my Debian key).

If this is of any help for you, please let me know what I can do more.

All the best

Norbert

Hi, thanks for your help, doing a good packaging require more, is good to check any debian/ changes in upstream gits and also any other changes from previous version because upstream do very essential debian/ changes without considering debian policy and in many case doing changes only when there are issue with build so it is better to check all the history git of the latest version to found any possibile debian/ impovements.
Doing also packages, testing them and propose debian/ changes/impovements upstream if good/acceptable (upstream packages for latest ubuntu and debian stable that maybe require some changes),
require a lot of time, for example doing all this for the previous version had required me a few tens of hours (not counting the time it took maxy to check and make further improvements) that I have not recently.
Maxy and Marga are more expert in debian packacking
than me and can do better but I not know if they have time.

NOTES:

muffin:
-------
tests are failing, temporarily disabled, reason??
additional sub libraries added, lots of changes ...
from a fast look seems there was important changes but I check in detail

cjs
---
symbols changed, some got lost, don't we have to do some API push/name change?

cjs is often rebased with upstream gjs

cinnamon-menus
--------------
libcinnamon-menu-3-0 package name? adjust to 4-0 ?
looking git history there are no changes at all, it can usually be seen by changes to the symbols when necessary, and FWIK shoud be not needed change it to reflect source version

screensaver
-----------
plugins have disappeared in 4.0
this need check, I not look git history now for tell you something about

BUILD ORDER
===========
xapp
cinnamon-desktop
cjs
muffin
cinnamon-menus
cinnamon
cinnamon-session
cinnamon-settings-daemon
cinnamon-control-center
cinnamon-screensaver
cinnamon-desktop-environment
cinnamon-translations
nemo
cinnamon is better to be the latest to build because may require other packages updated, cinnamon-desktop, cjs, muffin and cinnamon-menus for sure and ok based on actual build-deps but if there was particular changes/move further improvements to debian/ may be necessary (not only debian/control), I not keep checked cinnamon 4.0 git changes to tell about them now.

TODO
====
cinnamon-bluetooth
	never built?
not used anymore, like what can be see in one debian/patches and cinnamon recommends blueman is used for bluetooth
nemo-fileroller
nemo-python
	missing .tar.gz!
there is unique nemo-extensions source upstream, nemo-python and nemo-fileroller require manual source adding each version from mint packages repository that have them splitted debian/watch should see them but probably not until cinnamon 4.0 will exit from rc (release candidate) status (upstream mark new version like 4.0 even if are they rc), if I remember good new cinnamon version become stable near when new mint version exit from beta.

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer