Re: Some question about Sound Card and code page 936

Ben Luo wrote:

> > If you want to test your sound card, use
> > $ cat some.au >/dev/audio (or similiar? ;-)
> > That will give you some sound... like Linus grumbling.. ;-)
>
> I re-compiled my kernel-2.2.17pre6, make kernel support sound card as
> module.
> I found my GNU/Linux found my ess1868 pnp card. But if I follow your
> way,? I heard nothing.?
> When system start, it runs alsa script. Can I have to config it or only
> remove it. Why in
> Redhat it is very easy way, but in Debian, it became a impossible work?
> Do I need some
> skill to treat it?
> BTW, I followed sound howto to config my sound card.

whew, I've just spent the whole afternoon to get my OPTi931
card up and singing... ;)

Seems that you're using alsa for the sound? I still haven't
touched alsa, seems alsa is very different, like some /dev/???
moved to /proc/???, I forward your email to debian-zh list, hope
there could be someone help you. ;)

If this is useful for ya, here's my experience w/ opti931:

我去年曾經有一塊OPTi931,花了好大勁才弄出聲來,不過,
如果用Commercial的Driver倒是相當輕鬆就出聲了,呵呵.
今年我又碰到這一塊OPTi931,剛剛下午才終於鼓足勇氣,
想試試讓他發聲.

沒想到竟然在/usr/src/linux/Doucmentation/sound/Opti
中找到詳盡的文檔.於是,
compile kernel,
install kernel,
modprobe *****,
install a small program, (as in doc)
發現還是不出聲,原來是我的/dev/audio等幾個設備,是
crw-rw----,改成crw-rw-rw-後,可以出聲了,
可是每個"音節"竟然要被重復4遍,呵呵,
於是查看到/var/log/kern.log中有記錄,說可能是
IRQ沒設對,於是我改了/etc/modules.conf(through
/etc/modutils/opti),改了中斷,哈哈,正常了.
GNOME的event也可發聲了.(I use esound. w/o alsa)

最後,在/etc/modules裡加上我需要的modules.
(Very Debian? ;)這樣,系統每次啟動,都有聲音啦!

不過,還是有一點奇怪的問題,放MP3的時侯,有幹擾音,
不是象背景噪聲,而是象快速的低音鼓機的聲音,估計
這是Driver的問題??

-=-=-=-

okay, last but not least, ;)
debian is by volunteers, and free of charge,
and is technically better then other distro/
other os in a lot of ways, and surely it's
not perfect in some aspect, but, ... ;)

you know it, debian is an community effort,
then every member of the community has his/her
own responsibilty for this community effort. ;)

(what's the effort for? simple, Fight your Software
Freedom. ;)