Re: Window Manager in Chinese

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 02:34:46PM +0800, Lincoln Leung wrote:

> hi,
>
> I'm currently using KDE 1.1.2-2000 with i18n support (installed from
> http://kde.tdyc.com a few weeks ago) in potato. But whenever I changed the
> language settings to zh_TW.Big5, the words in the panel appeared in
> strange characters. Did anyone run into such problem and how can I solve
> it?

The strange characters is probably Chinese, but for some reason Qt/KDE
does not use the correct fonts to show them.  I've never used KDE before,
so I can't help you there...

> By the way, KDE is not included in potato. Why? Are there any serious
> bugs in it?

The problem is not with the number of bugs in KDE, but because it is
*illegal* for Debian (or any Linux distribution for that matter) to
distribute it.  Most KDE packages are licensed under the GPL (GNU
Public License), which makes them illegal to be distributed along with
Qt 2.x, which is licensed under the QPL (Qt Public License).

Yes, that means Red Hat, SuSE, Corel etc. are breaking the law.

There is a page on debian.org which explains this, but I forgot the
URL...

> Can you suggests any other wm which can support Big5? Thanks a
> lot.

KDE is not a WM ...

For window managers, at least Window Maker does.  I personally use
Sawfish 0.30.

--
  Roger So                                            telnet://e-fever.org
  spacehunt at e-fever dot org                          SysOp, e-Fever BBS