Re: Input Chinese(GB) in Mozilla

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 06:52:19AM +0800, Ben Luo wrote:
> Dear Fok,
> > You mean you could see GB chinese characters in the menu???  How?  :-)
> > What menu?  (your window manager?  Or GNOME?)
> This is magic. I don't know why. I install all I can find about chinese
> .deb package and install them. Then what I do only thing is add a single
> line in the top of my ~/.xinitrc
>
> export LC_ALL=zh_CN.GB2312
>
> that's all. When i type startx I can not see chinese in my Windowmaker
> root menu. I can not see any chinese in enlightenment menu( if i use it as
> window manager).

That's what I thought, because we haven't translated any of the menus yet,
so I can't see why you would see Chinese in any of those menus.  :-)

> But, the beautiful thing happend, when I lauch "pan" , some of menu
> display chinese. I think this is because it have GB po, but I don't find
> GB po. If i lauch mozilla File|Save pages as..., the dialog form display
> chinese in most of widget. In gnome panel, most of menu are chinese. Can
> you tell me what tool can i use to catch my screen. I will email you about
> my X.

Hehe.  :-)  See, I told you, the Chinese support in potato/woody isn't all
that bad, is it?  (if the users already know GNU/Linux and X11.  :-)
(Of course, most of the credits go to the *.po files translators, and to the
people who contributed zh_CN.GB2312 and zh_TW.Big5 locales.  :-)

The GB po files are probably in:

	/usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/
or	/usr/share/locale/zh_CN.GB2312/LC_MESSAGES/

As for screen capture software, try xwd (from the xbase-clients package).
I think GIMP may do screen capture too.  I can't remember.
Anyhow, if you have got any great screenshots showing off the Chinese
support in Debian, please do so, and let me know where I may download it (or
just e-mail it too me if your files aren't too big).  We'll put it up on the
Debian Chinese Project home page.  :-)

You could try this:

	$ sleep 10s; xwd -root -out /tmp/screenshot.xwd

then arrange your window within 10 seconds, and the screenshot will be
taken.  To look at the picture, use "xwud -in /tmp/screenshot.xwd".  Don't
send me the *.xwd file though!  Use e.g.

	convert -quality 100 screenshot.xwd screenshot.png

(convert is from imagemagick).  On second thought, if GIMP supports it, it
may be easier to do it from GIMP.  :-)

> That is why I ask you i don't see big5 charactor in menu when I export
> zh_CN.Big5.

Just in case you missed what I said last time: There is no zh_CN.Big5
locale.  Use zh_TW.Big5 instead.  Big5 is not used in the Mainland China.

Hope this helps,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada