Re: Netscape displaying Chinese

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 07:40:27PM +0800, zhaoway wrote:
> >> Any X Windows Chinese add-ons make X unstable.
>
> [...]
>
> >> The only way to resolve Chinese problem in X is
> >> to use standard i18N interface and standard XIM.
>
> [...]
>
> >Right. But in the mean while, we can use a tool to display Chinese
> >in the non-i18n application:
>
> [...]
>
> which is right,
>  doesn't mean all of the others are wrong,
> and we wanna get things right,
>  so works were done,
> what, then, have us been left?
>  fortunately, it's not a trouble-prone. =)

I have to say more clearly. The standard i18n and standard XIM ways are
the RIGHT (CORRECT) ways to solve the internationalization problem (not
just Chinese problem). We should pay our efforts to help the applicatiions
to support them, as much as possible.

However, in the mean time, since the applications which can fully support
i18n display are not enough, for example, the Netscape, which I think it
should be one of the most important applications we might use, so I
propose that before the new version of Netscape is available, we can use
other convenient tool to help to display the Chinese. Of course, this
is not a CORRECT way, so this is just a proposal.

If you don't think we have to pay attention to the non-CORRECT way for
Chinese, then please just ignore my message.

T.H.Hsieh