Re: URL for an English site describing how to enable Chinese input?

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 02:51:07PM +0900, Bengt Thuree wrote:
> Hej
>
> I am an non-chinese speaking guy, who wants to install a debian (sarge)
> system for my chinese wife. Or perhaps Ubunto. But the problem is that I
> am not to sure of how to configure the system so it will be an english
> system, but with an easy way to handle simplified chinese. Something
> similar to Win XP IME input.

This should be quite easy if you only use English and Chinese (i.e., no
european language or other asian language) and use UTF-8 encoding.  All
you need to do is to configure the input method correctly.

[snipped]
> Hopefully someone knows of a good english howto site for enabling Chinese
> input on an English debian/Sarge/Ubunto system.

Not that I know of.  Actually I even don't know any good Chinese Howto
documents.

As the maintainer of scim packages, I would suggest you to look at it.
It is a nice input method platform, and with scim-chinese package you
can input Chinese in all various applications while keep English
interface.  I've just written an English user's manual in version
0.9.7-3 (will enter sarge pretty soon) thanks to Osamu Aoki's help, hope
you'll find it helpful.

> Thanks in advance.

You are welcome.  Hope this helps.

Ming
2004.10.04

Physics is much too hard for physicists.                 --- David Hilbert