Re: URL for an English site describing how to enable Chinese input?

Ming Hua wrote:

Hej

This should be quite easy if you only use English and Chinese (i.e., no
european language or other asian language) and use UTF-8 encoding.  All
you need to do is to configure the input method correctly.
So I can not use an English OS with all the various menues in English, and have inputs between English, Swedish and Chinese?
Encoding would be, I guess, UTF-8, GB2312, BIG5, ISO-8859.

Not that I know of.  Actually I even don't know any good Chinese Howto
documents.
A bit peculiar with all the various chinese running linux.

As the maintainer of scim packages, I would suggest you to look at it.
It is a nice input method platform, and with scim-chinese package you
can input Chinese in all various applications while keep English
interface.  I've just written an English user's manual in version
0.9.7-3 (will enter sarge pretty soon) thanks to Osamu Aoki's help, hope
you'll find it helpful.

I just installed scim-chinese in sarge (apt-get install scim-chinese) and then tried to use it, and to be honest... I am really looking forward to the english users manual. :) I am a bit stuck in how to enable the input. (I did dpkg-reconfigure locales and added zh_CN (gb2312 and utf8) and zh_TW (big5 and utf8)). I managed to enable the panel applet SCIM in Gnome, and tried various options... then started evolution and OO/Writer but can not input in chinese.
I think a server should be started, but do not quite know how to enable it.

Thanks in advance.

You are welcome.  Hope this helps.

It definitely got me going.
And looking forward to the english howto.

Thanks
Bengt