Re: URL for an English site describing how to enable Chinese input?

--- Bengt Thuree <bengt@thuree.com> wrote:

> Hej
>
> I am an non-chinese speaking guy, who wants to
> install a debian (sarge)
> system for my chinese wife.

Congratulation you have a chinese wife :P

Or perhaps Ubunto. But
> the problem is that I
> am not to sure of how to configure the system so it
> will be an english
> system, but with an easy way to handle simplified
> chinese. Something
> similar to Win XP IME input.

I am not very sure your situtation.  To enable chinese
in Debian Linux, you could 1) select a Chinese
environment under Gnome/KDE appending to your wife's
account.  By this approach your wife will obtain a
full-chinese (not completed) operating environment
when she logins to Gnome/KDE (such as menus, Dialog
boxes) and you still can keep your language with your
account.
2) attach a Chinese input method to any language with
UTF-8 encoding (e.g. en_GB.UTF-8). By this approach
system can input/recognise Chinese but the menu/others
will be as yours preferred lanuage.

> Most of the sites I have found by using Google
> referes to Chinese speaking
> persons, or are very old.

Oh, I suppose their wife are all Chinese ...

> I found a promising site though, but all the
> comments that looks to add
> good information are in Chinese.
> http://www.debian.org.hk/zh_cn/node/view/1067
> Also found this site
> http://seba.studentenweb.org/thesis/linux.php
>

> Our goal it to enable chinese for file names, open
> office, gaim, web and
> email.
> Probably more, but this will do for a start.

Could you tell us which desktop environment you are
using?  Gnome, KDE or both?  Basically if just
pure-gnome you can tweak it about 10 -30 mins (font
issue). In fact I am writing this email under such
that environment.

> Hopefully someone knows of a good english howto site
> for enabling Chinese
> input on an English debian/Sarge/Ubunto system.

My English is quite bad.  So please be patient.

> Thanks in advance.

Cheers

> --
> Bengt