Re: chinese case in current languagechooser (was Re: Languagechooser changes)

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):

> > But this is already the case for other languages.  Don't we already need
> > different translations for eg. en_AU, en_UK and en_US, and perhaps fr_CA
> > and fr_FR?
>
> No, but we do for pt vs. pt_BR, so there is precedent.

No exactly identical, however. pt_BR is only spoken in one country,
Brazil, while pt is spoken in all other portuguese-speaking countries
in the world.

But, portuguese is for sure a similar problem. As far as I can tell,
pt_BR and pt are different enough for justifying two ISO 639 codes,
which is what they should do.

en_AU/en_UK/en_US are far from being different languages. Except some
known exceptions, they are spoken and written the same way (as long as
you forget about specific accents, of course.....:-)). This is
similar for fr_CA and fr_FR.

The problem with Chinese is this duality Simplified/Traditional.
There is also this mandarin/cantonese duality.....Indeed I don't
really understand how Simplified/Traditional and mandarin/cantonese
are related :

Simplified is a simplified Chinese, yes. But which one ? Mandarin or
Cantonese?

Traditional Chinese is the "good old" Chinese language. But, again,
which one? Madarin or Cantonese?

What will we do for people who speak
Chinese in Hong-Kong (valid locale)? Carlos mentions they speak
cantonese. So?

/me goes lurking on ISO 639 sites in order to get clearer ideas about
all this.