Problems to Chinese Localization

Hi every folks,
I'm new to debian and I am very glad to see
the good support of chinese in debian,
However after I installed XFree86 4.0.3 and KDE2.
I am really confused about:

1) Although I changed freetype -> xtt in XF86Config
   the ttf fonts never shows

2) I grap some windows fonts and use fttools to
   create fonts.dir, but seems fttools doesn't like
   chinese ttf files and completely ignores them.

3) What I want is to make applications to show chinese
   correctly, but I don't want chinese error messages
   by gettext(), how do I make it?

Please help me, if my question is not clear enough
please let me know.

Yu-Chung