Re: zh_TW.Big vs zh_TW.big5 vs zh_TW

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:13:38AM +0800, alexwhc@netvigator.com wrote:

> Owing to the fact that I do not know how to configure window manager such as gnome in the
> shell mode,
> i.e. use startx to start X-window

You might help us to advertise this: Debian system install all
the documents under /usr/share/doc/ for each package it installed.
There are several directory for gnome-*. You might want to see
the gnome-core directory.

I have not used gnome on my desktop, so... :(

> I can startup a English Style Netscape communicator by press the the earth like icon in
> the menu bar which can browse big-5, gb, english web page correctly.
>
> I can also startup a Big-5 Chinese Style Netscape communicator by choose [Debian menus]
> -> [Apps] -> [Net] -> [Netscape] -> [Netscape(zh_TW.Big5)] which can browse big-5, gb,
> english web page correctly.

If you take a look at /usr/lib/menu/netscape-zh-resource-475, you will
see that the environment for zh_TW.Big5 is set explicitly in that directory.
And /usr/bin/X11/crxvt also explicitly set you environment to zh_TW.Big5.
As a result, you can see a zh_TW.Big5 both in crxvt and netscape even
if your overall environment is not set to zh_TW.Big5. beside, gdm won't
read your .bash_profile and .bashrc. It should read your .login file though.
You might need to check how gdm set your environment. For xdm, it
read ~/.xsession. You can just set LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

> I guess my gnome has already been configured use chinese but can not find the chinese
> resources although there are many gnome related *.mo files are stored in
> /usr/share/locale/zh_TW.Big5/LC_MESSAGES .

If the environment is set properly, gnome will find them. One possible
reason is that as you know, the LC_COLLATE is not in the default zh_TW.Big5
locale. If LC_COLLATE is not there, LC_ALL and LANG will not work
properly. gnome might just set your LC_ALL or LANG to zh_TW.Big5 when
you set it up at language chooser. You might want to copy the LC_COLLATE
from GBK's directory /usr/share/locale/zh_CN.GBK/ and see if that
works.

> One of the reason support my guess is that,
> Debian's Netscape Communicator package has its own chinese locale since version 4.75, and
> the X-window has configured as Chinese-big5, hence the communicator can use the
> corresponding chinese resources to display the chinese character menu bar.

If your environment is all properly set to big5, the one at the taskbar
should also start netscape with big5 menu.

--
Best regard
ha_shao