New xfonts-arphic-* packages uploaded [Was: Woody xlibs breaks all the arphic packages..]

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 09:30:44AM -0500, Yifang Dai wrote:
> In recent xlibs upgrade, it starts to conflit with libxfont-xtt, so all
> the arphic packages has to be removed.

Hello!

I've just uploaded xfonts-arphic-????????_2.11.2 for potato and woody into
Incoming.  This is what I changed:

  xfonts-arphic (2.11.2) stable unstable; urgency=medium

    * [debian/control]: Changed dependency information to:
         Depends: ttf-arphic-????????, xutils | xbase-clients (>= 3.3.6-4)
         Suggests: xfs (>= 4.0.1-3) | xfs-xtt (>> 1:1.3.0.1-3) | xserver
       so that the Arphic fonts won't conflict with the XFree86 4.0.1
       packages.

   -- Anthony Fok <foka@debian.org>  Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:50:15 -0700

They are currently in incoming, so before it get installed into
potato-proposed-updates and woody, you may find the files at:

   http://incoming.debian.org/xfonts-arphic-gbsn00lp_2.11.2_all.deb
   http://incoming.debian.org/xfonts-arphic-gkai00mp_2.11.2_all.deb
   http://incoming.debian.org/xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp_2.11.2_all.deb
   http://incoming.debian.org/xfonts-arphic-bsmi00lp_2.11.2_all.deb

So at least there is no longer any package conflict.  Since I am still using
potato at home, please check to see if it works on woody.  Thanks.  :-)

> I played with the truetype fonts a little bit, and find out if we load
> the "xtt" truetype backend instead of the "freetype" one, then we can
> just use the exact same files under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType.
>
> Instead of serving them using xfs-xtt, we can just put the line:
>
> FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
>
> into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and we can use the same TrueTypes in X again.
>

> I think this is the easy solution for the xfonts-arphic* packages, but how
> about the tfm-*? Is it just simple as recompile them to depends the new
> xlibs?

tfm-arphic-* packages are not affected by the new xlibs because tfm-arphic-*
don't use them at all.  :-)  Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada