Question about php3+GD

Hi,
I am a novice of php. When I call the function of imagecreatefromgif
or imagecreatefrompng, I get "Fatal error: Call to unsupported or
undefined function imagecreatefromgif()(or imagecreatefrompng()).
Maybe function imagecreatefromgif was removed due to a patent problem
for GIF in version 3.0.16. But how about the function imagecreatefrompng()?
Does version 3.0.16 support it? TNX.
The following packages were installed in my potato box,
ii  php3           3.0.16-2potato A server-side, HTML-embedded scripting langu
ii  php3-cgi       3.0.16-2potato A server-side, HTML-embedded scripting langu
ii  php3-doc       3.0.16-2potato Documentation for PHP3
ii  php3-gd        3.0.16-2potato GD (graphic creation) module for PHP3 (apach
ii  php3-mysql     3.0.16-2potato Mysql module for PHP3 (apache)

Regards,

--Wen
wen@japan.email.ne.jp