Re[3]: zh_TW.Big vs zh_TW.big5 vs zh_TW

> a> 3. 使用中文應用軟體(如何設定)
> a>  請各位提供.
> a>  因為只有 Netscape Communicator 在 Gnome
> a> 內顯示中文(包括視窗撰單與網頁內容).
>
> set LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES to zh_TW.Big5 in script that start
> your X window. Debian also provide xa+cv.

Hello, hashao

Thanks for your reply.

Owing to the fact that I do not know how to configure window manager such as gnome in the
shell mode,
i.e. use startx to start X-window

I use gdm to start the graphic mode as like MS Windows. gdm allows me to choose chinese
locale and login as a normal user.

Once I login, the window manager is Gnome + sawfish. In the shell terminal, the locale
shows all related Environment Variables are zh_TW.Big5.

I can startup a English Style Netscape communicator by press the the earth like icon in
the menu bar which can browse big-5, gb, english web page correctly.

I can also startup a Big-5 Chinese Style Netscape communicator by choose [Debian menus]
-> [Apps] -> [Net] -> [Netscape] -> [Netscape(zh_TW.Big5)] which can browse big-5, gb,
english web page correctly.

I guess my gnome has already been configured use chinese but can not find the chinese
resources although there are many gnome related *.mo files are stored in
/usr/share/locale/zh_TW.Big5/LC_MESSAGES .

One of the reason support my guess is that,
Debian's Netscape Communicator package has its own chinese locale since version 4.75, and
the X-window has configured as Chinese-big5, hence the communicator can use the
corresponding chinese resources to display the chinese character menu bar.

Are you any suggestion?

--
Best regards,
alexwan from Hong Kong