From: Anthony Fok [mailto:foka@master.debian.org]On Behalf Of wen@japan.email.ne.jp
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 3:23 PM
To: debian-chinese-big5@lists.debian.org
Cc: debian-chinese-gb@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Chinput 3.0.1 was packaged ;-)

hashao> If it is failed, locale will fall back to C. That is bad.
hashao> So this is the problem.

But the output by $locale in crxvt-gb shows

LANG=zh_CN.GB2312
LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_NUMERIC="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_TIME="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_COLLATE="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_MONETARY="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_MESSAGES="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_PAPER="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_NAME="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_ADDRESS="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_TELEPHONE="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_MEASUREMENT="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="zh_CN.GB2312"
LC_ALL=zh_CN.GB2312

It seems OK.

hashao> try export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GB2312 and
hashao> unset LC_ALL and LANG. I don't know why you LC_ALL=zh_CN.GB2312
hashao> is failed. It should be OK under potato. When LC_ALL and LANG
hashao> failed, it is most likely that your /usr/share/locale/zh_CN
hashao> don't have all the neccessary locale properties.

$ls /usr/share/locale/zh_CN
LC_MESSAGES
$ls /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES
ee.mo         gedit.mo        gnome-libs.mo   gnome-utils.mo  gtk+.mo       wget.mo
error.mo      gettext.mo      gnome-media.mo  gnorpm.mo       mc.mo
fileutils.mo  gnome-core.mo   gnome-objc.mo   gnumeric.mo     sh-utils.mo
gdm.mo        gnome-games.mo  gnome-pim.mo    grep.mo         textutils.mo

Something losts?

hashao> PS: are you sure the Chinput is up and running? In your other
hashao> mail, it looks like chinput is not running. check with 'ps' please.

Good point. I thought it will start automatically after it was installed.
When I type command chinput& the following message comes up

$ Chinput Version 3.0.2 -- XIM Server
Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL)
Basic: Cannot open font -default-song-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-gb2312.1980-0\n

Does it mean the font is not available?

Wen