Re: Free Software DVD contains non-free firmware

On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 04:12:02PM -0700, Birzhan Amirov wrote:
> Hello Debian CD Images team.
>
> I decided to switch to the latest version (12.1.0), and encountered the
> following issues:
>
> 1) Looks like this DVD image:
>         https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/
>
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/debian-12.1.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso
> which is supposed to be Free Software only, actually contains 3rd party
> non-free firmware.
> The way I discovered it was that my 6th gen Lenovo ThinkPad x1 carbon wifi
> card started working, while with 11.6 and prior it didn't have the firmware
> and was disabled because of that.

Hi,

Debian has had a full General Resolution on this and resolved to include
non-free firmware as part of the installer, especially because without this
you cannot install Debian on some hardware if you need sound, for example.

https://www.debian.org/vote/2022/vote_003

> This image is labeled as
> "Debian GNU/Linux 12.1.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 with
> firmware 20230722-10:49".
> Was there some kind of mistake when publishing the images?

This is not a mistake: see also the release notes for 12. This is a change
from Debian 11.

https://www.debian.org/releases/bookworm/releasenotes

> 2) Also, when I tried to download this disk [DVD-1] using jigdo, I ended up
> getting an image of the first disk that wasn't bootable.

Can you show us where you got the jigdo files from, please?

> Thanks and Regards, John Amirov.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater