Re: 10.9 planning

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 12:24:45PM +0000, Adam Barratt wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>On Fri, 2021-03-19 at 11:42 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Houston, we have a problem. I know that you've announced the 27th for
>> the point release, but we're not going to have a new shim ready for
>> then.
>>
>> We've been hard at work testing and fixing things for the last couple
>> of weeks, but it's been slow going.  We've *just* had a 15.3-rc3
>> release candidate published last night. Even if that all looks OK and
>> we don't find any more bugs in testing (fingers crossed!), we're not
>> going to have a proper 15.3 release ready to go for
>> review/testing/signing in time for it to make it into a buster point
>> release next weekend.
>
>Thanks for the update. :-(
>
>Do you have a sense of when things _might_ be ready? Depending on
>timings it might be worth us getting the bulk of 10.9 out of the way
>and working out what to do about shim later on.

At this point, I do not have a lot of confidence to pick a reliable
substitute date. Once we have a 15.3 release *done*, I'm thinking
adding a couple of weeks after that point is probably the most
sensible thing we can do. That's enough notice for the teams, I hope?
And it will be enough time to get stuff reviewed and signed. I'll be
one of the people driving the review process, and the reviews for this
round should be minimal - we'll be using a totally vanilla new release
with no local patches.

I'll keep you updated as soon as i have any news.

Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,
Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I...