Re: Post-Release Test Results for Debian 10.8 Live KDE i386 on real hardware

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 08:49:58PM +0100, Linux-Fan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yesterday I participated in the testing of release live DVD images for the
> old i386 architecture.
>
> Unfortunately, I could not test the KDE live image due to getting a black
> screen (with movable mouse cursor) on the installed as well as live disk.
> Later, I tried the DVD on another i386 machine and this time the GUI worked.
> I also tested the Calamares installer and although installation took very
> long by modern standards :) (~2.5h) it worked successfully. The only (minor)
> issue I experienced was that during the installation, KDE's lock screen (?)
> kscreenlocker_greet would sometimes start causing a black screen similar to
> the one experienced before on the other machine. This could be fixed by
> interactively switching to a VT and killing the kscreenlocker_greet process.
>
> I currently keep my notes of the tests including screenshots at
> https://masysma.lima-city.de/37/debian_i386_installation_reports.xhtml
>
> Having newly gained access to the Debian Wiki (thanks again :) ), I imagine
> it would make a lot of sense to move all these records to the Wiki? Are
> there already pages about installation walkthroughs "by screenshots" that I
> could add to? Are there suggestions for the names/paths/structure under
> which such pages might best be created?
>
> My first idea would be to create a subpage
> Teams/DebianCD/ReleaseTesting/Buster_r8/1105a and put all the screenshots
> from that test as well as hardware details there, then create a similar page
> Teams/DebianCD/ReleaseTesting/Buster_r8/1105c etc. I could link these pages
> from the overview table at
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCD/ReleaseTesting/Buster_r8
> This is just a basic idea though and I am happy for any better suggestions
> or comments.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Linux-Fan
>
> öö

Firstly - Thank you very much for coming in and spending time and contributing
meaningful tests yesterday: your effort is very much appreciated, especially
so if you spent 2.5 hours with the Calamares install.

I'm not sure if putting details of the tests for each point release with
screenshots into the wiki would necessarily be helpful. The tests for the
point releases are ephemeral - as much as anything else, they are a test of
lots of paths through the Debian installer to try many combinations of
choices of filesystem, for example.

The Debian main website at www.debian.org is going through various editing
processes at the moment. One of the things that does get asked for quite often
is a good explanation of how to install Debian with screenshots: it might be
that this would be a better use of your energy and enthusiasm as it would
have much wider benefit.

I would be happy to work with you to realise this if you think it would be
useful to others. The debian-www team are also looking at ways to improve
the main site.

With every good wish - and thanks once again

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater