Re: Release status of i386 for Bullseye and long term support for 3 years?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:24 PM Lou Poppler wrote:

> I would like to help.
> Please suggest any debian lists or IRC channels or webpages I should look at,
> or other steps to make myself useful.  Thanks.

The general page for how to help Debian is here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

More specifically, you could:

Join the #debian-cd, #debian-boot, #debian-buildd, #debian-ftp,
#debian-ports (introduce yourself here at minimum), #debian-release
and #debian-toolchain IRC channels (and maybe #debian-devel). There
isn't really a mailing list for i386, so maybe use debian-devel or
debian-amd64.

Help test the installer:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCD/ReleaseTesting

Install and enable popularity-contest on your i386 machines and submit
to the Linux hardware database. Encourage other i386 users to do the
same.

https://popcon.debian.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/Database
https://linux-hardware.org/

Create install wiki pages for the hardware you own:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn

Help maintain the installer and documentation:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

Create a new i386 page in the Ports area on the wiki based on the template:

https://wiki.debian.org/Ports
https://wiki.debian.org/PortTemplate

Maintain the other documentation about the i386 port:

https://www.debian.org/ports/i386/
https://wiki.debian.org/i386

Create a scheme to tag i386-specific bugs (maybe user debian-devel,
usertag i386) and maintain the installer usertags for debian-boot and
the port usertags. Work on fixing the bugs tagged i386.

https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=debian-boot@lists.debian.org&tag=i386
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Debbugs/ArchitectureTags

Work on increasing the amount of software that builds and works on i386:

https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi?arch=i386
https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php?a=i386
https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/testing/index_suite_i386_stats.html
https://ci.debian.net/status/

Follow #debian and #debian-next and help out any i386 users asking
questions (although there aren't (m)any in practice).

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise