Re: Debian DVD disk names

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 08:20:47AM +0200, Tashos Mitusis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking to install debian on a computer and came across this place:
> https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/bt-dvd/
>

> There are three DVDs there and after reading your suggestions up front I
> found out that DVD1 is the actual installer and the other two DVDs are a
> kind of repository for people with slower connections or no internet at all.
> This is great but why are the names of the DVDs something more descriptive
> like DVD-install, DVD-repo1, DVD-repo2.

The team producing CD and DVD images only now produce the first three images
in order to save space on the mirror machines. The rest are able to be
generated using jigdo, for example. There are ?? 48 ?? DVDs in all and, as
it says in lots of places, you only need the first CD or DVD to install a
basic Debian. Three DVDs will allow you to install a full desktop environment
and additional software away from any internet connection.

For the avoidance of doubt: all source and all binary packages are available
in CD/DVD sized images, but you may have to build the images yourself for DVDs
 beyond 1-3. There is also a 16G .jigdo file to make a larger image to write
direct to USB stick and various Blu-Ray size images.

That's it, really. If you have a local mirror / a fast Internet connection,
you may be able to use the netinst CD more readily. It is a smaller image,
but relies on network connection.

Hope this helps,

All the very best,

Andy C.