Re: Porting the standard image from live-wrapper to live-build

Hi Roland,

thanks for your efforts! I would very much welcome if you could submit
gradually your live-build changes to the official repository so that you
don't have to keep a big fork.

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020, Roland Clobus wrote:
> live-wrapper:
> * ISO volume ID contains '10.6.0'
> ** AP: live build mentions 'buster', which contains less details

You can tweak this with "lb_config --iso-volume 'Debian 10.6.0'" for
example.

> * Makes a beep on boot
> ** AP: Should this be added to live build as well?

Likely, yes. It's meant to help visually impaired users.

> * The grub configuration contains 'SAYS ...'
> ** AP: Should this be added to live build as well?

I don't know what you are referring to.

> * The grub and isolinux menus contain all available languages
> ** AP: It would be nice to reproduce this in live build

Is this a feature to pre-select the language from the boot menu?

I'm +0. Not opposed to it but I also don't see it as a big win.

> * The boot splash screen uses the Debian theme
> ** AP: live build shows a helmet and the versions of the live packages.
> We need the Debian-themed splash screen, combined with the version numbers

Definitely!

> live-build:
> * /EFI/boot contains a 32-bit EFI image on the amd64 iso.
> ** AP: Is this needed/correct?

Pass, I don't know.

> * xorriso complains about issues with Joliet (symlinks not supported,
> volid too long)
> ** AP: Do we need support for Joliet? Untested: does Windows XP/7/10
> support RockRidge sufficiently well? And is it needed?

This warning is common and can be safely ignored AFAIK. You get it with
any debian-cd generated image too.

> * The packages lists are available both uncompressed and as gzip file
> ** AP: Isn't just one variant suffient? live-wrapper only has the
> uncompressed file

Likely yes, but it doesn't hurt much.

> My comments to the command line options to lb config (as shown below):
> * --security false
> ** AP: Shouldn't this be true per default for Debian Stable?
> * --updates false
> ** AP: Shouldn't this be true per default for Debian Stable?

I'm not sure what you mean by "true per default for Debian Stable".
There's no such concept of default value by release for some options...

> * --loadlin false
> ** Is this still tested? (I don't have a computer which can run 16-bit
> executables at the moment)

I don't think that anyone needs to set this option, yes.

  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁
  ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋    The Debian Handbook: https://debian-handbook.info/get/
  ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀   Debian Long Term Support: https://deb.li/LTS