Issue creating persistent debian live usb

Hello Debian CD Team,

I'm new to Debian trying to create a persistent live Debian usb stick. And following the instructions these pages:

https://www.linux.com/blog/creating-debian-live-usb-flash-drive-persistence-non-techies%20
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb

The created USB stick boots fine. However, I'd like to partition the unallocated space so that it can be used for persistent storage. I noticed the first article is rather old so I hope this is still relevant.

The issue occurs when I try to create a new partition, for persistent storage.

Gparted (0.25.0-1+b1) does not show the Linux partition at all. It just shows the tiny ESP partition (numbered 2) and unallocated space.
Disks (gnome disk utility) does show the Linux partition, at the front before the ESP.

Creating a partition (defaults) in the unallocated space in Gparted will succeed. However, the ESP has been moved to the front and the Linux Partition is gone. The new partition is numbered 1 and the ESP numbered 2.

After copying over the ISO again, I try in Disks this time. First I get an error: error syncing after initial wipe: timed out waiting for object (udisks-error-quark, 0)
Now everything looks wrong like before, but the new partition has the type and contents of the Linux partition, is however 121 GB now. Between the ESP at the front and the new partition at the back is a 2.5 GB free space now.

So anybody have any clue what is afoot here?

0d44727dbc9155bf8f1d7068ef74a08c8ad7f7068d4acb9d06b510bafd52f72f  debian-live-10.0.0-amd64-gnome.iso
Downloaded from https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

Additionally may I ask if it is possible to keep using the memory stick cross platform for data? Or is it better to have a separate stick just for Debian Live?

Thanks for the help,
Rugnutz

Hello Debian CD TeHella